Monday, September 25, 2006

Why is My Urine Cloudy?



Hey Sam! I just woke up this morning after a long weekend of dancing and partying, and my urine was cloudy. Can you tell me why this is happening, and what is the cause of this? --Jake, San Diego

First, I should say that I'm not a medical professional and so I cannot diagnose a condition. Cloudy urine may indicate a serious problem and therefore needs a prompt professional medical diagnosis.

That said, cloudy or milky urine can sometimes result from various changes in the urine. It may result from other symptoms such as blood in urine, proteinuria, urine substances or other causes of urine color changes. In addition, certain foods or drinks may affect urine consistency and coloration.

Another thing is to consider is that you might also not be drinking enough water. You should take your bodyweight and divide in half to determine the amount of daily water intake. For example, I weigh 234 pounds, so I should be drinking about 116 ounces of water per day. This equates to about 15 eight ounce glasses.

I hope that helps! --Sam