Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I've Got Shin Splints from Sprinting: What Am I Doing Wrong?


Hey Sam, I recently started sprinting in the mornings. But today, after sprinting, I noticed I have slight shin splints today. Is that normal? Did I not stretch enough before and after? As a beginner sprinter, should I limit sprinting to just once or twice a week to start? I don't want to get an injury and halt my exercise so your advice is HUGELY appreciated. --Michelle

Hey Michelle. Shin splints are usually a sign of too much weight striking the shin bone, and can be aggravated by improper footwear. The first thing I'd check out are your shoes: Are they shoes designed specifically for running, and when was the last time you had them replaced. In general, running shoes should be replaced every 4 months. A common mistake is that people judge whether to replace their shoes based on the condition of the soles. This is not a good parameter. A better test is this: if you can bend your shoe lengthwise, they need to go.

It also sounds like you may have "jumped" into sprinting without a lot of practice. As a former sprinter, I can tell you the importance of building your speedwork gradually. When you start a sprint lap, you need to gradually accelerate into your "top/sprint" speed and then gradually deccelerate as you come out of the sprint. Don't enter into sprint laps "cold."

There are also some stretches which may help your shin splint situation. The easiest one is with a buddy. In a seated position, legs extended in front of you, have your buddy gently press down on your foot while holding your heel with their other hand. Hold each stretch for at least 15 seconds.

Whether or not you should continue to sprint is a good question. In general it's always a good idea to listen to your body. Pain is generally a sign that something is wrong, so I think it's probably a good idea for you to lay off the sprints for a little while while your shin splits go away. Tend to the shins as you would any other inflamed area, with the RICE technique (REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, ELEVATION). Stretch them often and examine your shoe situation. Finally, remember to increase your speedwork gradually following the recommendations I've laid out here.

I hope this helps. Happy sprinting! --Sam