Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Ferris Bueller Got it Right



this is an audio post - click to play


A year ago this month, I learned that my uncle, Jeffrey Dietrich Larsen, was in the end stages of a two year battle with cancer. An architect in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright, he'd discovered a large tumor on his right shoulder, so doctors wanted to amputate his right arm. Instead, he chose to sell his only asset, his home, and move to Houston where doctors at Anderson Medical Center fought (successfully) to save his arm, but he lost his life.

Today, I received the harrowing news from my friend Ralph of his mother's unexpected death. I didn't know his mom, but her death resonated with me, and many of us who know Ralph.

Not a day goes by that I don't stop and reflect on the majesty (and frailty) of life. Each morning, in the dark hours of twilight when I kiss my partner before leaving for work, I'm consciously aware that it could be my last opportunity to demonstrate my love.

In the film, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Matthew Broderick's character makes the following observation:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around every once in awhile, you could miss it."

I'd say Ferris got it right.