Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Sam's View: ZMA is NOT Worth the Hype

Dear Sam, Recently I have heard a lot about ZMA, the nutritional supplement. Can you give me any guidance as to how you feel about its effectiveness? —Olan

Olan, ZMA is a combination of two essential dietary minerals (zinc and maganesium) and vitamin B6. Some sources indicate that zinc and magnesium are sometimes "not adequately supplied through normal dietary consumption" thus warranting its use. The zinc in ZMA is in the chemical form of zinc methionine and aspartate; and the magnesium in ZMA is in the aspartate form.

While you may have heard of ZMA as a popular new supplement that claims to increase anabolic hormones and strength in athletes, there is no scientific evidence for any claim that ZMA has any effects beyond those of taking equivalent amounts of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6 in any other form.

Also, upon investigating further, I've become aware that ZMA was "developed" by Victor Conte, founder of BALCO, and (who according to the ISSA) was recently released from prison. This fact was included in the book Game of Shadows which was written by two reporters from the San Francisco Chronicle regarding the steriod scandals involving Barry Bonds and the 2000 USA track and field team. Based on this additional finding, I would hesitate to recommend ZMA.

Very few nutritional supplements undergo the strict double-blind placebo testing which can demonstrate (or negate) its true effectiveness in the field. Unlike many gyms and trainers, I specifically do not carry supplements in my studios because I feel it is important to maintain my objectivity about them. That's why, when I recommend a product, I do so without any financial tie to the supplement company or product. I feel I owe this to you, my clients and readers, as a fitness professional.

Therefore, I do not recommend use of ZMA at this time.