Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Blue Hawaiian

THE LAST TWO YEARS HAVE BEEN BIG ONES FOR ME PERSONALLY....Building my Los Angeles fitness practice, working with the X PRIZE to help launch the private space tourism industry, and about to open my second studio, in Glendale, California next month.

Yes, I'm a fitness coach and, well -- sometimes ya just gotta relax. So I figured after two years of hard work that I deserved a vacation. This weekend I'm in Hawaii, and in honor of that, I thought I'd share one of my favorite cocktail recipes. This drink was created by Harry Yee, the original bartender at the Hawaii Hilton in 1957. He created the drink to help Bols market their (at the time) "new" Blue Curacao liqueur. While there are many variations on this recipe, this is the authentic version (and my favorite). Props to my buddy MIKE HITT for sharing it with me back in 2001.

THE BLUE HAWAIIAN [ain't it pretty?]

3/4 oz. Light Rum
3/4 oz. Vodka
1/2 oz. Blue Caracao
3 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Sweet & Sour Mix

Combine and mix well. Serve in a tall glass over ice. Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a cherry. Enjoy, and ALOHA!